#baltimore #county, #maryland, #md., #md, #government, #local #government, #co, #permits #approvals #and #inspections, #pai,, #plumbing #inspections, #plumbing #board, #gasfitters, #plumbing #license, #plumbing #exams, #plumbing #application, #utility #contractor #disposal #system #contractor, #plumbing #codes, #plumbing #licensing, #gasfitting, #plumbing #procedures, #plumbing #reciprocals, #plumbing #journeyman, #disposal #contractors, #inspections
Baltimore County Government
Plumbing and Gasfitting Inspections
The Bureau of Plumbing and Gasfitting Inspections is a division of the Department of Permits, Approvals and Inspections and is responsible for inspecting work performed by licensed plumbers and gasfitter to ensure conformity with the plumbing and gas code. Bill 41-15 (PDF): The Current Plumbing and Gasfitting Code of Baltimore County was approved by the County Council on May 4, 2015 with an effective date of July 1, 2015. This code adopted the PHCC National Standard Plumbing Code – Illustrated, 2015 edition, the NFPA 54 National Fuel Gas Code, 2015 edition and the NFPA 58 Liquefied Petroleum Gas Code, 2014 edition.
Other primary functions include:
- Investigating plumbing and gas related complaints
- Interacting with contractors, engineers and property owners and answer code compliance questions
- Issuing of the following licenses:
- Master plumber-gasfitter license
- Journeyman plumber-gasfitter license
- Master gasfitter license
- Master limited plumber-gasfitter license
- On-site utility contractor license
- Journeyman gasfitter license
- Disposal system contractor license
- Water pump contractor license
- Drain and sewer cleaner license
- Master Plumber license
- Journeyman plumber license
- Administering plumbing exams for licensing new applicants in compliance with the Baltimore County Code Regulation
For information or questions regarding issues related to permit status, please call 410-887-3620, Monday through Friday, between 7:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Please do not call to schedule an inspection.
All plumbing and gasfitting work requires a permit and inspection. To schedule, reschedule, cancel or inquire about an inspection, call 410-887-4638 or use Inspection Connection and follow the prompts. Please have your permit number and three-digit inspection code ready. Inspections may be scheduled until 8 p.m. for the next day.
You may contact the department via fax to send a message or transmit documents, including pictures, anytime regarding permit or licensing issues. If the fax is to an inspector, please indicate which inspector at the top of the first page.
Email an Inspector
Contact inspectors by using the email addresses provided below:
Note: Email addresses are to be used only to exchange pertinent permit information with inspectors. Do not use to schedule or cancel inspections.
- All types of plumbing and gas installations are to be installed by a licensed plumber or gasfitter
- Proper permits are required prior to the commencement of any work, except for the repair of faucets and replacement of water closet (toilet) parts
Plumbing and Gasfitting Permit Application (PDF) may be downloaded, filled in, and printed for processing in person or by mail, or it may be obtained by visiting:
County Office Building, Room 100
111 West Chesapeake Avenue
Towson, Maryland 21204
Information required for permit application:
- Building permit number for residential or commercial building’s Use and Occupancy. Check with your builder for the correct building permit number
- The property district information is required at the time of purchasing a permit, see the Plumbing and Gasfitting Inspectors’ District Map (PDF)
The Plumbing and Gasfitting Board advises the Director of the Department of Permits, Approvals and Inspections regarding the administration of Article 21, Title 15 of the Baltimore County Code, including licensing.
Utility licenses expire March 31 every other odd number year.
Other plumbing and gas licenses expire April 30 of every other odd number year.
Baltimore County recognizes and honors insured-to-work Propane Gasfitter Certificates in addition to the following state issued licenses:
The Baltimore County Plumbing Board only reciprocates plumbing and gas licenses with the following jurisdictions:
- Baltimore City (gas only)
- State of Maryland
- Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission
- Grinder Pumps: Plumbers should proceed carefully when hooking up grinder pumps. Read and understand procedures before proceeding to ensure pump is installed before hook-up.
- On-site Utility Contractor
- Disposal System Contractor
- Water Pump Contractor
Examinations test for the knowledge of plumbing and gas installations and materials. The Baltimore County Plumbing Code effective as of May 1, 2013, adopted the 2012 National Standard Plumbing Code.
Current and Local Codes
Revised December 9, 2016